- Tanks MUST stand in the circle of light as this will create a safe zone, called the Wall of Light, behind the tank. The raid must stand within the Wall of Light so they take 10% less damage, and gain immunity to Breath of Fear.
- Healers can remain within the safe zone for the entire fight.
- Ranged DPS will sometimes have to exit the safe zone to deal with adds spawning on the platform.
- Melee DPS will spend most of the fight behind the boss (so outside the safe zone) and they will occasionally move to deal with the adds that spawn on the platform or to take cover within the safe for Breath of Fear.
While the fight is not difficult to understand, there is a high DPS requirement and as you must have 2 tanks (1 on the boss and 1 on a platform) you will have to 2 heal the fight. The real tough parts of the fight are getting the balance between DPS on the boss and killing adds as well as avoiding much damage as possible by avoiding the impact locations of Penetrating Bolts and not getting caught outside the Wall of Light when Breath of Fear.
- Thrash is a buff that the boss gains after every 3 melee attacks that he makes, which causes him to attack 3 times instead of just once on the 4th attack.
- Eerie Skull is a spell that the boss essentially spams at the raid. It deals a high amount of Shadow damage to a random raid member, and anyone else within 2 yards of their location.
- Breath of Fear is a spell that the boss casts every 30 seconds, whenever his Energy bar fills up. This deals a massive amount of Shadow damage to anyone on the platform who is not within the Wall of Light, fearing them for 5 seconds.
- Ominous Cackle is the spell that the boss uses to send a group of 5 random raid members to an adjacent platform, where they must defeat a corrupted Terrace Guardian. The Sha of Fear casts this spell roughly ever 90 seconds in 10-man, and every 45 seconds in 25-man. We detail this part of the fight in a specific section.
The Sha of Fear also summons Terror Spawns on the main platform, these cannot be damaged if attacked from the front and cast Penetrating Bolt continuously, which deals a large amount of Shadow damage in a 3-yard radius at the location of their target, getting hit also applies a stacking debuff which increases Shadow damage taken by 10% per stack so avoiding them is essential and easily done.
- Shoot: Cast on the main aggro target and deals moderate Physical damage;
- Dread Spray: is a shadow volley attack that is cast in random directions for 8 seconds, firing a total of 16 volleys. Getting hit 2 times, within the same Dread Spray, will be feared for 2 seconds, this can be dispelled;
- Death Blossom: is channeled attack that deals a large amount of Physical damage to all players in line of sight;
- Sha Globes: these are placed on the ground and can be consumed by running into them, they deal a small amount of Shadow damage but also will refill the a player’s primary resource over time. If a Sha Globe is active for 8 seconds the Terrace Guardian is healed 5%;
After defeating a Terrace Guardian players must click the golden globe that appears near the corse to return to the main platform. The 5 players will also recieve the Fearless buff, which increases movement speed, damage and healing done and provides immunity to Breath of Fear for 30 seconds.
- Consume all the Sha Globes within 6 seconds;
- Non tanks hide behind the pillars when Death Blossom is cast;
- Tank stay out and collect Sha Globes when Death Blossom is cast;
- DPS the Terrace Guardian;
While the directions Dread Spray cast are fired appears random, it does actually follow a specific pattern.
A final note, a death of a player while on the Terrace Guardian Platform will result in a raid wipe if the boss has anything above a 10% HP as when that group gets sent back to a platform they will almost likely not be able to kill the Guardian before the next group gets their summon. You should therefore wipe if that player cannot be ressed while on the platform as this will save you from wasting time.